David Conrad's 1936 Ford
Some minor changes were done to the car before David had Jimmy Hervatin chop the top 2 inches. "When I got it home I took it apart to do the bodywork," David told Sondre Kvipt of Kustomrama in 2020. "The only rust was the bottom of the rear fenders which I patched. I filled the left tail light stand, installed a 1946 Ford gas door, and lowered and mounted the spare tire closer to the body."
After completing the chop and bodywork, David dressed it up by adding two more stainless moldings on the hood sides. He also replaced the stock bumpers with 1941 Ford Super Deluxe bumpers. "I was lucky to find set of N.O.S. 16 Lyon hub caps and put them on 1940 Ford wheels." Dual Appleton 112's wrapped up the style of his period-correct early style build.
Under the hood, David installed a 1961 Chevrolet 283 engine that he hooked to a 350 turbo transmission and an early Bronco rear end with Posie mounts and springs. "It rides and drives very good," David confirms, adding that he has had it to the Custom Car Revival four times. "From the start I know I wanted blackwalls but I tried white walls just to see and quickly bought a set of blackwalls. I like the late 40's look," David added. Rolling on a set of Firestone 600-16 Blackwall Tires, the build was completed in February of 2014.
David's Custom Parts List:
- Spotlights: Appleton 112 | Check price and availability on eBay
- Wheels: 1940 Ford | Check price and availability on eBay
- Tires: Firestone 600-16 Blackwall Tires | Check price and availability on Amazon.com
- Hubcaps: 16 " Lyon Sombrero Hubcaps | Check price and availability on eBay
- Bumpers: 1941 Ford Super Deluxe | Check price and availability on eBay
Did you enjoy this article?
Kustomrama is an encyclopedia dedicated to preserve, share and protect traditional hot rod and custom car history from all over the world.
- Help us keep Kustomrama and history alive. For as little as 1 USD a month you can become a monthly supporter. Click here to learn more.
- Subscribe to our free newsletter and receive regular updates and stories from Kustomrama.
- Do you know someone who would enjoy this article? Click here to forward it.
Can you help us make this article better?
Please get in touch with us at email@example.com if you have additional information or photos to share about David Conrad's 1936 Ford.
This article was made possible by:
SunTec Auto Glass - Auto Glass Services on Vintage and Classic Cars
Finding a replacement windshield, back or side glass can be a difficult task when restoring your vintage or custom classic car. It doesn't have to be though now with auto glass specialist companies like www.suntecautoglass.com. They can source OEM or OEM-equivalent glass for older makes/models; which will ensure a proper fit every time. Check them out for more details!
Do you want to see your company here? Click here for more info about how you can advertise your business on Kustomrama.